Monday, January 30, 2017

WALKING, WALKING, AND MORE WALKING

"I am so thankful for this opportunity to serve my Heavenly Father. I know that as we continue to work hard, be obedient, and do OUR part, Heavenly Father is always going to do HIS part and bless us."

Out on exchanges this week


Hello everyone! 

This week has been a little rough, but I know that if I continue to show my faith and give my best, then miracles and blessings will come. I forgot my journal again so this email will be a little short.

My new area. There are no Chinese members living in this area and this area does not have many natives of mainland China living here. We do not have a Chinese member in our ward. It is definitely harder to speak Chinese in this area because there are far fewer Chinese people to speak with. Elder Zeng has helped me a lot with that. This area hasn't had Chinese speaking missionaries here since last year so Elder Nelson, Elder Zeng and I are basically starting from scratch. We have one referral/investigator, William, who we have been trying to have a lesson with this past week, but haven't been able to meet with him. 

This week has been full of walking, walking, and more walking. We don't have a car in our area, so all we do is walk. On a daily basis, we are spending about 4-5 hours walking around the UCR campus seeking and trying to find people to teach about the Savior. We have run into a lot of ABC's (American-born Chinese, many who only speak English) and some native Chinese people. We will continue to work hard!

Let me tell you a few funny stories to help you all get a glimpse of our new area. :) We had a hobo a couple of days ago showering in our apartment complex pool! We also met this guy on the street, who admitted to us that he has killed multiple people! He ended up being a cool guy, and we gave him the address to our ward building and hope he will come. :) I live about 30 minutes from Eastvale, my first area. Our apartment is in Riverside near the college. 

Church on Sunday was awesome and is always a bright spot. The ward here is super cool! There are no Chinese members in our ward but there are a lot of cool English members. :) We taught Gospel Doctrine class on Sunday about the Sabbath Day and the importance of keeping this day holy and making it different. Since I have been on my mission, I really have recognized the importance of the Sabbath Day. We go to church so that we can partake of the sacrament and renew the sacred covenants we have made with our Heavenly Father at baptism. I am so thankful for the sacrament. 

This past week was Chinese New Year too! We went to a cool Lunar Year Festival in downtown Riverside with the other Chinese Elders. There was a lot of Chinese people there so that was super fun practicing with them. :) I just keep planting seeds. And, this morning for p-day, we went on a cool hike with our zone. 




I am so thankful for this opportunity to serve my Heavenly Father. I know that as we continue to work hard, be obedient, and do OUR part, Heavenly Father is always going to do HIS part and bless us. I love you all have a great week!

Elder Willes  



No comments:

Post a Comment