Thursday, September 15, 2016

LEGENDARY

Week 4


"It was a night I won't forget. I'm not gonna lie, when we were singing, I literally couldn't stop crying. 
I felt the Spirit so strong and I felt so grateful that I was able to have that opportunity to 
witness something so cool and powerful." 


"This might be the most legendary picture I've taken since I got here. I love my Chinese friends so much."


This has been an awesome week. Another week down here. I have almost been on my mission for a month and I am 1/2 way through my time at the MTC :) Yes mom, I am still sick. It is hard for me to get better because I don't sleep well here.


Elder Willes and Elder Shakespear

Thursday we had yet another lesson with Li Feng. Elder Shakespear and I have been teaching a ton lately. It is very good practice and I can't wait to actually teach someone in Riverside :) We taught Li Feng about The Restoration and the Book of Mormon. At the end of the lesson, we asked him to read from the introduction of The Book of Mormon and pray about it. Li Feng has been progressing very well, and he tends to follow through on almost all of the commitment invitations we give him which is great!  [*MOM NOTE: When Nathan teaches investigators at the MTC, generally those are his teachers posing as investigators.]

After our service on Friday morning we had a lesson with Zheng Xian Sheng. Elder Shakespear and I also taught Zheng Xian Sheng about the Restoration and the Book of Mormon but he had many more questions about the doctrine. We were able to follow the Spirit and answer his questions and it was so cool :) When we came out of the lesson, we were so happy because we could communicate, for the most part, and understand what he was saying. I am so thankful for how blessed I  have been in learning the Chinese language. Friday night we had another lesson with Li Feng, and we taught him about the Plan of Salvation. This lesson was kind of difficult, because there are so many words to know for the Plan of Salvation. We did the best we could, and we decided to take more time teaching this great stuff to Li Feng on Saturday, so he can understand it better. 

Saturday was such a memorable day. In the morning we had TRC and we had a lesson with a lady from China. We taught her about prayer and the importance of prayer in our everyday lives, because it allows us to communicate with Heavenly Father. It was so awesome! For our 2nd lesson at TRC, there weren't enough "recent converts" to be taught so they asked Elder Shakespear and I to be taught as "recent converts" for other missionaries to teach! That was fun. 

That night was so special. Elder Shakespear and I were able to go to Mamoo and Boppy's zone meeting. Whenever missionaries are departing and leaving for their missions, Mamoo and Boppy have a special zone meeting. They had made special arrangements with my Branch President so that Elder Shakespear and I could come because Mamoo and Boppy were being released from their callings here at the MTC. They have, I think, 8 different languages in their zone. As districts, the missionaries all go up and recite the First Vision in their mission language. They also all sing hymns in their mission languages. It was a night I won't forget. I'm not gonna lie, when we were singing, I literally couldn't stop crying. I felt the Spirit so strong and I felt so grateful that I was able to have that opportunity to witness something so cool and powerful. 



I love Sundays here. I taught Priesthood which was really cool! I taught about having faith in Jesus Christ, and how we can better develop our faith. Sunday night's devotional was given by Elder M. Russell Ballard :) He said that his talk wasn't necessarily clear before he started and that he was basically just going to speak as the Spirit prompted him. It was a huge testimony builder to me of always being willing to follow the Spirit. 

Yesterday we had 23 Mandarin speaking missionaries leave  for their missions at about 4:00 a.m. Our zone is much smaller now but we are gonna have new missionaries coming in soon. Most of the missionaries in my zone are going to Taiwan. Others are going to Hong Kong, Malaysia, Scotland, Ireland, California, New York, and the sister in my district is going to Hawaii. 

We had our last lesson with Li Feng, and we taught him about the Gospel of Jesus Christ. He is "moving" back to China which means that our district will be getting new teachers :( I am kinda bummed. My teachers were awesome. 

3 APOSTLES IN A ROW!!! Yep, Tuesday night's devotional was given by Elder Quentin L. Cook :) 3 in a row - that has gotta be some sort of record here. I am so thankful for the opportunity I have had to hear apostles of the Lord speak to me here at the MTC. Elder Cook shared with us the 4 loves in missionary work. Loving your companion, the people, your mission president, and the Lord. It was so cool. 

I am so thankful for the opportunity and privilege to serve. I have learned so much throughout my time here and my testimony has gotten stronger. Doctrine and Covenants 20 taught me a lot this week about Christ and all that he went through. I would really encourage everyone to read it. Verses 17-31 are so powerful. Jesus Christ suffered through everything for us. There is nothing unfair in life that the Atonement of Christ doesn't cover. Love you all and have a great week!! 

Elder Willes

Elder Bennett (a friend from home) left for Madagascar this week

Elder Willes and Elder Brown (a friend from California going to Thailand)

Brother Tuttle with Elder Willes. "He is in our Branch Presidency. I love him."

Elder Willes with Elder Olsen (a missionary from my zone that left this week)

Elder Willes and Elder Boud (a missionary from my zone who left for Singapore this week)


No comments:

Post a Comment